Restaurants at a Glance
Qu Yuan has a history of some 200 years. It is located within a hotel called Yangzhou Guest State House, owned by the provincial government. Together with Yechun, they are two of Yangzhou’s most accomplished purveyors of Huaiyang dishes, one of China’s original “Four Great Cuisines” (before it was expanded to eight). Head chef YAN Yong Gang was chef at the Chinese Embassy in Washington. His expertise was enjoyed by many American and world leaders who visited the embassy.
- Restaurant has a history of some 200 years
- Purveyor of Huaiyang dishes at the highest order
- Chef YAN Yong Gang was chef at Chinese Embassy in Washington
Salt Merchant Lu’s Mansion
LU Shao Xu, one of the wealthiest men in China of his time, built the mansion In 1897. His new home covered nearly 10,000 square metres with more than 130 rooms. It is now a tourist attraction that includes the Yangzhou Cuisine Museum. Also situated in Lu mansion is a restaurant that showcases traditional Yangzhou cuisine but also with creative touches. One such dish is an outstanding improvisation of the classic Smoked Duck. Deboned slices of the bird are layered over glutinous rice. The sensation of meat over moist grain is mouth-watering.
- Traditional Yangzhou cuisine with innovation
- Situated in a 122-year old mansion
- Outstanding Smoked Duck
Yangzhou Lion Pavillion
Founder and chef WU Songde’s mentor is ZHOU Xiaoyan of Jiangsu. A chef and professor of cooking at the University of Yangzhou, Zhou is also a judge of culinary competitions held in China and on the international stage. The restaurant is very near Salt Merchant Lu’s Mansion. Yangzhou Lion Pavilion’s “Lion Head” is traditional but less sweet than usual. This makes for easier pairing with wine. Otherwise, if it’s too sweet, a Moscato d’Asti, Spatlese or Auslese Riesling, Barsac or Sauternes, even a single malt whisky will work better.
- Professor ZHOU Xiaoyan is mentor of founder chef WU Songde
- Serves traditional “Lion Head” in an enlarged portion
- Two other well-patronised branches in Yangzhou
Yechun Teahouse (Top 10)
One establishment so stands out in the city that it is not uncommon to hear people say that “if you have not visited Yechun, you have not been to Yangzhou”. To give an indication of the numbers that Yechun attracts, each day, 10,000 to 20,000 baos are made. That’s just for a normal day. On festive occasions, the kitchen has to produce up to 50,000 per day! The teahouse traces its origins to the Qing Dynasty (1644 – 1912). Yangzhou was also a favourite destination for Qianlong (1711 – 1799). The Manchu emperor visited the city six times in his southern expeditions.
- Three sittings of breakfast: 7, 8 and 9am
- Many breakfast snacks including bao or Chinese buns
- Emperor Qianlong visited Yangzhou six times