Cuisine and culture are connected. China is the longest unbroken civilisation in the world. Chinese cuisine is therefore the longest, unbroken culinary tradition on our planet.
The publication, does not however contain a single recipe. 100 talks about restaurants, their background, their owners, chefs and, when dishes or a branch of Chinese cuisine is discussed, its history.
To maintain the impartiality and neutrality in selecting the 100 restaurants, more than 200 were patronised and the meals were paid for. Restaurants and hotels are NOT ALLOWED TO ADVERTISE in 100 or on this website. The uppermost criteria for being included in 100 Top Chinese Restaurants of the World are:
- Quality of food
- Consistency of quality of food
- Creativity (but not bling)
A lawyer by training, CH’NG Poh Tiong published The Wine Review, the second oldest wine magazine in Asia from 1991, and the world’s first Guide to Bordeauxin Chinese from 2000 to 2014. Since then, he has migrated to websites and is publisher and writer of www.chngpohtiong.com and www.100chineserestaurants.com. He is a contributor to academieduvinlibrary.com.
- Vice-Chairman – Decanter Asia Wine Awards
- Regional Chairman – Decanter World Wine Awards
- Senior Judge – The World of Fine Wine’s Best Wine Lists (World Competition)
- Chairman – Koshu Expert Committee (KCE) (Japan)
- Director of Judging – The Singapore World Spirits Competition
(The newest addition to The Tasting Alliance, parent organization of the world-renowned San Francisco World Spirits Competition, SFWSC)
- Wine Consultant – NTUC FairPrice and Finest (Singapore’s largest supermarket chain) for the last 20 years
- Wine List Compilation – Imperial Treasure Group’s 1 st restaurant in London
- Keeper of the Quaich
- Contributor to academieduvinlibrary.com
- Ch’ng holds a postgraduate Certificate in Chinese Art with Distinction from the School of Oriental & African Studies, University of London. He is the leading authority on pairing Chinese cuisine with wine. In the past 15 years, Ch’ng has been organising dinners featuring Chinese cuisine in China, Hong Kong, and Singapore with the great wines of Bordeaux including:
➤ Chateau Margaux
➤ Chateau Leoville-Barton
➤ Chateau Brane-Cantenac
➤ Domaine de Chevalier
➤ Chateau Suduiraut